March 3th 2012 - at the Department of Applied Mathematics and Informatics of the Faculty of Business Informatics, the Scientific and Educational Laboratory for Intelligent Systems and Structural Analysis (NUL ISSA) was created.
July 30th 2015 - the laboratory was awarded the status of the International Scientific and Educational Laboratory (ISEL ISSA), and already at the Department of Data Analysis and Artificial Intelligence of the Faculty of Computer Science.
From January 1st 2020 - the full title of the Laboratory is "International Laboratory for Intelligent Systems and Structural Analysis".
The reason for founding the laboratory is growing demand for high-quality data scientists and researchers in the fields of intelligent systems development and data analysis techniques. The volumes of data that science and industry operate have dramatically increased in the past decades – as well as hidden knowledge of Big Data and value within it. To gain competitive advantage and uncover the hidden insights from data we need new mathematical models and algorithms for processing complex data of different types.
Since the end of 2021, the International Laboratory has been participating in the projects of the HSE Artificial Intelligence Center.
Manager of the Lab is Larisa I. Antropova.
Main tasks of the laboratory
- Fundamental and applied research in the field of data analysis of large volume and complex structure (including complex structured data in textual, numeric, relational and structural forms).
- Development of software tools for data analysis and creating of various components of intelligent systems.
- Integration of the professional community in the field of data analysis and intelligent systems, facilitating the involvement of novice researchers.
- Involvement of teachers, students and post-graduates of the National Research University Higher School of Economics in scientific work of the laboratory.
- Adopting of research results of the laboratory in the educational process.
- Preparation of new curricula and courses for "Applied Mathematics and Informatics" and "Data Science" majors at the NRU HSE.
Main research topics
- Advancing of intelligent systems.
- Human computer interaction in intelligent systems.
- Theoretical foundations and applications of Formal Concept Analysis.
- Network analysis and applied graph theory.
- Machine learning.
- Knowledge representation and ontology modelling.
- Automatic text processing.
- Recommender systems and modern collaborative technologies.
More about research in the ISSA lab.
The ISSA Lab hosts weekly research seminars on topics related to Intelligent systems including computational logic, ontology modelling, data analysis methods, efficient algorithms design and implementation, and others.
The ISSA Lab is a part of School of Data Analysis and Artificial Intelligence at Faculty of Computer Science. Laboratory staff participate in all academic activities of the faculty, including bachelor's programmes, master's programmes, postgraduate schools (for dissertation preparation), summer and winter schools, vocational training, etc.
The ISSA Lab supports Data Science master's programme (academic supervisor – Sergei Kuznetsov). The programme includes such courses as Data Mining, Ordered Sets in Data Analysis, Natural Language Processing, Network Analysis as well as students' research seminar.
The Laboratory maintains close ties with academic and industrial research centers as in Russia as worldwide.
In 2020 together with the Scientific and Educational Center of Polytechnic Institute of Surgut State University so called mirror laboratory was founded under the project "Intelligent data analysis in medical information systems".
Have you spotted a typo?
Highlight it, click Ctrl+Enter and send us a message. Thank you for your help!
To be used only for spelling or punctuation mistakes.