The laboratory was established in 2018 to advance the field of bioinformatics at the Faculty of Computer Science. The International Laboratory of Bioinformatics is actively engaged in the development and application of the most modern methods of machine learning and artificial intelligence for the analysis of omics molecular biology data.
The main areas of scientific activity of the laboratory are:
1. Fundamental studies of the role of secondary DNA structures and their relation to the epigenetic code. The practical application of research is aimed at developing drugs that control the work of flipons – secondary DNA structures that regulate the work of the genome. In particular, a potential cancer drug has been proposed that regulates the work of the genome by incorporating one of the flipons – Z-DNA.
2. Development of pipeline analysis of genomic sequencing data, genetic panels. Complete analysis from variant to phenotype. Since 2019, the laboratory has been interacting with medical institutions and pharmaceutical companies in this area of activity.
3. Machine learning in bioinformatics. Work in this direction has been carried out since 2018. The laboratory cooperates with major industrial partners.
4. Genetic research in the field of cardiogenetics, focused on creating a catalog of mutations of patients with cardiovascular diseases. In 2020, the Consortium "Genetics of сardiovascular diseases" was created.
5. Development of AI systems in bioinformatics. Development of AI systems for predicting the diagnosis and course of diseases. Since 2020, the first systems for predicting the side effects of anticoagulants, antidepressants and antipsychotics have been made within the framework of this area of scientific activity of the laboratory. This direction finds application in pharmaceutical companies.
The results of the research work of the laboratory are published in Russian and international journals. Various scientific and educational events on the research topics are regularly held, such as scientific seminars on machine learning methods in bioinformatics, summer and winter schools on bioinformatics, round tables, conferences and the annual interdisciplinary forum of the "Genetics of сardiovascular diseases" Consortium. The International Laboratory of Bioinformatics is actively collaborating with leading world-class laboratories.